CBSE class 10 science paper was conducted on 16th March, across various centres in our country. Our subject experts did an overview of the exam and also released solutions of the same on the day of the exam. In this article, we will do an in-depth analysis of the CBSE Class 10 Science paper.
CBSE Class 10 Science Paper 2018 Analysis
Compared to last year, CBSE tested entire syllabus present in class 10 NCERT book in CBSE Class 10 Science paper
2. Paper Pattern
The only change in paper pattern was that practical based questions were of subjective type only this year.
3. Chapter-wise distribution
Chapter-Wise distribution of CBSE Class 10 Science Paper:
|Chapter||Weightage in 2018|
|Chemical reactions & equations||2+2 PBQ|
|Acids bases and salts||3|
|Metals and non-metals||5+2PBQ|
|Carbon and its compounds||2+3|
|Periodic classification of elements||5|
|Control and coordination||2+3|
|How do organisms reproduce?||3+5+2PBQ|
|Heredity and evolution||1|
|Light – reflection and refraction||2+3+2PBQ|
|Human eye and the colourful world||5|
|Magnetic effects of electric current||5|
|Sources of energy||1|
|Management of natural resources||3|
4. Abnormalities / new observations in the paper
Some abnormalities from previous years’ papers were observed in this year’s paper, which are listed here for you:
- 1st ever PBQ from metals and non-metals – one PBQ question was based on reactivity series of metals. In earlier papers, no PBQ from this chapter was asked.
- No PBQ from carbon and its compounds – every year from 2015 to 2017, atleast 3 PBQ questions have been coming from carbon, though this year no practical question was asked from this
- Dobereiner’s triads and Newlands octaves – these concepts were asked for the first time since 2008 exam
- From How do organisms reproduce?, PBQs on budding in yeast and reproduction of amoeba were asked in 2015, 16, 17 and appeared this year as well
- The question regarding female reproductive system and placenta was repeated from last year’s paper – this tells us the importance of practising previous years’ papers
- Only 1 mark question was asked from Heredity and evolution – in previous years’, the weightage of this chapter has been 4-5 marks, with mostly questions of 3 or 5 marks
5. Difficulty Level Analysis
We have compiled a question wise difficulty level data for each question, based on feedback we received from our students. Note that a question which is directly given in NCERT is termed as easy, a question involving calculations is termed medium while a question asked indirectly from NCERT is termed difficult.
Note: All data w.r.t. Outside Delhi paper, code 31-1
This year, 5 numericals were asked, worth 15 mark, including questions in PBQ.
In 2017, 21 marks worth of numericals were asked.
This year, 2 HOTS questions were asked, worth 4 marks. Last year also 2 HOTS questions appeared in the exam, worth 4 marks.
6. Most Importantly
Entire question paper was from NCERT. So the importance of reading your NCERT is immense. Those of you who were thorough with NCERT, should definitely score good marks.
Now the next exam that Avanti will focus on is Math class 10th boards. We will be conducting a live doubt solving session on 23rd March. Make sure you register for the session and post your doubts using this link: https://goo.gl/forms/KmzE7LbsLUp5gfGv2
We will also be releasing a Math predicted paper on 24th March.