Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) is a national level fellowship programme in the field of Basic Sciences. KVPY is conducted by Indian Institute of Sciences (IISc), Bangalore. KVPY 2019 will be conducted on the 3 November 2019. Started in 1999, funded by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India, it offers scholarships and contingency grants till pre-Ph.D level to the eligible candidates. KVPY fellowship has a two-stage selection process i.e. Aptitude Test and Personal Interview. Candidates successfully clearing these two stages are awarded the prestigious fellowship. More details about the KVPY 2019 exam are given below:
SA, SX and SB Streams
The selection of the competent candidates is made from a wide spectrum of candidates from those studying in the 11th standard to the 1st year of any undergraduate programme in Basic Sciences. The KVPY exam has three streams:
- SA-for students pursuing Science and currently in Class 11th
- SX- for students pursuing Science and currently in Class 12th
- SB-for students pursuing Science and currently in the first year of graduation
After clearing the two-stage process candidates are eligible for direct admission in the top-notch institutes of the country like the IIScs and IISERs.
Details about the Fellowship
The DST completely funds the fellowships granted to selected candidates which are as follows:
|Category/Stream||Monthly Stipend||Annual Contingency Grant|
|SA/SX/SB – B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Integrated M.Sc./M.S. for first three years||₹ 5000||₹ 20000|
|SA/SX/SB – M. Sc./Integrated M.Sc./M.S for Fourth and Fifth year||₹ 7000||₹ 28000|
Important dates for KVPY
The online applications for KVPY 2019 had started on the 8th of July 2019 and the last date to fill the online application form is 31st August 2019. The important dates regarding the application are as follows:
Online application closes 31st August 2019
|Online application begins||8th July, 2019|
|Last date of form filling||31st August, 2019|
|Admit card download||Second week of October, 2019|
|Examination date||3rd November, 2019|
|KVPY results- Aptitude Test||Third week of December, 2019|
|Interview process (tentative)||Third week of January, 2020|
|Final Result (tentative)||April, 2020|
There are primarily three streams for KVPY depending upon your eligibility- SA, SB and SX. You are required to adhere to a prescribed eligibility criteria for KVPY. The criteria mentions the details regarding academic conditions, age limit and marks required.
Candidates pursuing the following undergraduate programmes can also apply:
B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./Int. M.S.
You can find information regarding the different streams of KVPY, application process and the eligibility criteria on KVPY Application Form page
Depending on your stream you will have a different syllabus for the KVPY exam. The exam does not have a fixed syllabus but it will test your analytical skills and aptitude in the field of Basic Science. It has four sections those being Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Thus, you are expected to be thorough with the concepts of the same. You can find detailed syllabus on the KVPY syllabus page.
KVPY has a two stage selection process: aptitude test and personal interview. After clearing both of these stages, you would be eligible for the KVPY scholarship. The candidates clearing the cut-off for the prescribed stream would be eligible for the personal interview. The results of both will determine one’s selection for the scholarship. For more details, check our page on KVPY Result and Selection Process.
- Application forms available online from 8th July 2019.
- Application forms issued only through online mode and no application would be accepted through offline mode.
You can fill the online form till the 31st of August 2019.
These are the basic steps to fill the KVPY application form:
- Online Registration
- Application Form Filling
- Upload scanned documents
- Submit application form
- Make payment
- Application status
We would strongly suggest that you check our detailed KVPY Application Process page to keep on top of the application process.
Mode of Examination: The exam would be conducted in an online mode.
- Duration: 3 hours
- Language: English & Hindi
- Type of Questions: Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
- Papers: The question paper is divided into two parts: Part 1 & Part 2. There will be four sections in Part 1 & Part 2 (Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics/Biology).
- Marks: The question papers of Stream SA & Stream SB/SX will be of 100 marks.
- Marking Scheme: In Part 1 of all Streams, one mark would be awarded for correct response & 0.25 marks will be deducted for an incorrect response. In Part 2 of Stream SA & Stream SB/SX, for each correct response, two marks would be awarded to the candidates & 0.5 marks will be deducted for an incorrect answer.
We would strongly urge all the applicants to check the detailed page on KVPY Exam Pattern.
Tips and tricks to crack KVPY
- Fundamentals: Since the exam focuses on the core concepts, you should have a good hold on them. It is important to understand these concepts rather than mugging them, so that you can apply them in different scenarios in the actual exam.
- Go through/ Solve Previous Year Papers: They are of premier importance when it comes to an exam like KVPY. They would give you an insight into the actual examination and its difficulty level so that you can plan your preparation accordingly.
- Diligent Preparations: You should keep at it. You can solve multiple choice questions from different reference books and textbooks prescribed for 11th and 12th standard.
- Using the right reference books: You are expected to solve from the reference books which are prescribed by your guides. Do not build a library for yourself, you will end up getting stressed. Some of the books that you can refer are:
- Physics: Concepts of Physics by H.C Verma and NCERT book. A lot of problems have their roots from the NCERT book.
- Chemistry: NCERT should be enough for Chemistry. For inorganic chemistry, you can refer to J.D. Lee or O.P Tandon.
- Mathematics: R.D Sharma and NCERT will help you sail through Mathematics.
- Biology: NCERT books and the complete AIPMT Guide by MTG should help you score a fairly decent score.
KVPY previous year question papers
Get previous 3 years question papers and answer keys of KVPY
The KVPY admit cards would be available online once the official notification is released. It is expected to release in the second week of October. The admit card will give you important details regarding your Examination centre, date and time of the examination, your roll number and registration number, your personal information and important instructions regarding KVPY 2019. Once downloaded you are advised to keep the admit safely for future reference. You are supposed to carry the admit card for the examination.
To know further details regarding the admit card, important dates, steps to download and exam centre details, read the blog on KVPY Admit Card
- You can select your preferred test city from the list provided by KVPY 2019, during the application process.
- You would be allotted a centre depending upon your preferences and the availability of the seat in the test centre.
- You must carry your admit card (Original and photocopy) for the examination.
- You must read all the instructions for KVPY exam centres 2019 mentioned on your admit card and should follow the instructions to avoid any discrepancy or cancellation of your test.
- You must not carry any electrical items/gadgets or study materials inside the examination hall if you are found in possession of banned items, your candidature will be cancelled on the spot.
List of examination centres:
|25.||Jammu||Jammu and Kashmir|
As we know, the selection process for KVPY fellowship consists of two stages: Aptitude test and Personal Interview. After clearing the aptitude test i.e. by clearing the prescribed cut-offs, you will be called for the personal interview, which is the second stage of the selection process and its weightage is 25% in the final result. Thus, it is very crucial and important aspect of the selection process. Here is a list of important documents you must carry for your KVPY interview.
- Application form and Interview call letter(You can download it from the KVPY website)
- Admit card of aptitude test (You can download it from the KVPY website)
- Original marks sheet (10th Mark sheet for SA/SX stream and 12th for SB stream)
- Caste Certificate (for candidates from the SC/ST categories)
- Medical certificate in case of physically challenged candidates
- A self-appraisal Form
- Study certificate form (It is obtained from the Head/ Principal where the candidate is enrolled)
- Teacher’s recommendation form(This form is available on the KVPY official website, you can download it and can get it filled by your teacher. It needs to be in a sealed envelope)
To know more important details regarding the interview process, right from checking the result for the aptitude test to details regarding the call letter the Interview center details, read the comprehensive blog on KVPY Results which includes the list of KVPY Interview Centres. Don’t forget to check the list of Sample KVPY Interview Questions.
The KVPY 2019 aptitude test result is expected in the third week of December 2019. Aptitude test is a major determining factor in the selection process. Only if you manage to clear the prescribed cut-offs, you would be selected for the second stage.
To know the important details regarding the downloading procedure, the cut-offs and result analysis, read this blog on KVPY results.
To get selected in the second stage of the selection process, you must clear the prescribed cut-offs. The cut-offs will vary from stream to stream and it will be different for the candidates with reservation and for the PWD students. Also if you wish for a re-evaluation of the OMR sheet, you can pay the prescribed fees and send the paper for re-evaluation to the KVPY office.
KVPY will release its official Answer Key within a few days of the examination. This will help you determine your aptitude test score before the actual results. The procedure to download the official key, highlights of the answer key, important dates regarding the answer key and the procedure to challenge the answer key are given in this detailed blog on KVPY Answer Key.
Frequently Asked Questions
A- Every student must apply online. No Bulk applications from school/college authorities would be accepted.
A- “Computer Based Test” means that it would be conducted using an easy-to-use portal on a computer. No prior experience with using computers is needed to opt for a test like this. If you plan to take the computer based test, you can take a KVPY mock test available here. This will make you familiar with all features of the testing environment.
A- Yes, you can take the test in Hindi.
A- There is no concrete syllabus prescribed for the KVPY aptitude test. The KVPY aptitude test aims to test your understanding and analytical ability than your factual knowledge. However, you are tested for the syllabus up to class X/XII/1st year of B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S. as applicable.
- In the Stream-SA all the subjects/questions are compulsory (Science and Mathematics).
- In the streams SB and SX , there will be four sections in Part 1 (Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics) and four sections in Part 2 (Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Mathematics). You are allowed to attempt any THREE of the four subjects in Part 1 and any TWO of the four subjects in Part 2
A- Yes, the advertisement for the KVPY Fellowship appears in all the national dailies on the Technology day (May 11), and on the second Sunday of July every year.
KVPY does not allow its fellows to simultaneously receive fellowship/scholarship from more than one source, either government or private. In case you are the recipient of any other scholarship/fellowship, you must give it up, for availing the KVPY Scholarship.
The KVPY releases its advertisement on 2nd Sunday of the month of July every year in national newspapers. The application form can be obtained after the publication of the advertisement. You can also check the dates of this year’s application form release here.
The last date of submission of the application form will be notified in the detailed advertisement published during July every year. You can also visit official KVPY page using this link: http://www.kvpy.iisc.ernet.in/main/index.htm to check the submission date of the application form.
You need to compress the files and then upload it again to complete the registration.
A- You may download ADMIT CARD during 1st week of October by logging into your application portal on the KVPY website. Details regarding examination venue and seat number will be available in the admit card. To read the steps on how to download the admit card, click here.